Effective: February 1, 2018
Who This Policy Applies To
Users of Canopy include customers (both companies and individuals), the clients of customers, and consumers of our free services. This policy applies in each of those cases, and this document will reference these groups collectively as “user,” “you,” or “your.”
Who Owns Your Data
Canopy stores personal information, communications, files, and financial information as provided, entered, or imported by the user (collectively, “Data”). This Data remains the property of the user and Canopy will only share data according to our “How We Share Your Personal Information” policies below.
Information We Collect
We may collect personal information about you, meaning information that can uniquely identify you, from various sources, such as directly from you when you use the Service (for example, when you register for an account, access certain features or content, or purchase a subscription to the Service) and from other users acting on your behalf (for example, if your accountant provides such information to us). The personal information we collect about you may include, without limitation, your name and email address. We may also collect information about you that does not uniquely identify you, such as your company name.
When you use the Service, we may also collect certain information by automated means, such as cookies. A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a user’s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the user’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. We may also use third-party analytics tools (such as Google Analytics) that collect information about use of the Service and user traffic. The information we may collect by automated means may include, without limitation:
- information about the devices you use to access the Service (such as the IP address and the type of the device, operating system, and web browser);
- dates, times, and duration of use of the Service (including whether you are a repeat or first time visitor); and
- information on actions taken when using the Service (such as page views and website navigation patterns).
How We Use the Information We Collect
We may use information we obtain about you to:
- process orders you place and complete other transactions you have requested using the Service, and provide you with products and services you request;
- send you information or materials you request;
- maintain a record of your purchases and other transactions using the Service;
- respond to your questions and comments and provide customer support;
- communicate with you about our products, services, offers, and promotions;
- operate, evaluate, and improve our business and the products and services we offer;
- analyze trends and statistics regarding use of the Service and transactions conducted using the Service;
- protect against and prevent fraud, unauthorized transactions, claims, and other liabilities, and manage risk exposure, including by identifying potential hackers and other unauthorized users;
- comply with applicable legal requirements and industry standards.
We also may use the information we obtain about you in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection.
Aggregated, Non-Identifying Information Is Not Protected
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual user, without restriction.
How We Share Your Personal Information
We may disclose personal information about our users:
- to contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business;
- to comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request;
- if we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Canopy, users of the Service, and/or others;
- for any other purpose which is incidental to the normal use of the Service; and
- otherwise with your consent.
Canopy takes protecting your information seriously, and implements reasonable measures to ensure your safety. For example:
- All data transferred between users and the service is encrypted.
- Sensitive data in the Canopy App is hosted in datacenters that are SOC2 security compliant.
- Patching against known threats occurs regularly.
- Canopy employees are trained how to safely handle sensitive information.
- Canopy complies with applicable security laws and regulations.
Please note that the electronic transmission of information is not completely secure. We cannot guarantee that the security measures we have in place to safeguard Data and/or other information will never be defeated or fail, or that such measures will always be sufficient or effective. Any transmission of Data and/or other information is at your own risk.
Information and Data Transfers
The Service is administered by Canopy in the United States. When we obtain information about you when you access the Service or you input or import Data from somewhere other than the United States, we may transfer, process, and store such information and Data in the United States. If you access the Service from outside the United States, you do so on your own initiative, at your sole risk, and you are responsible for compliance with all applicable laws. By using the Service, you consent to the transfer to and processing of such information and Data in the United States, which may have different data protection laws than those in the country in which you reside. Additionally, if you provide us with the personal information of your clients, you confirm that you have all necessary authority and consents to transfer such information to us.
Canopy Does not Store Your Payment Card Details
In order to comply with tax law, we retain data for a minimum of 7 years. Data will not be removed from active paid accounts without consent.
We offer you the following choices about the information we collect from you and how we communicate with you:
Cookies. Most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new cookies, how to be notified when you receive a new cookie, and how to disable existing cookies. You can control and/or delete cookies as allowed by your browser – for details, see www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0042-online-tracking. You can delete cookies that are already on your computer and you can set most browsers to prevent them from being placed. However, please note that cookies are required in order to use the Service.
Emails. Canopy sends billing information, product information, Service updates, Service notifications, and other communications to you via email. Promotional email communications will contain instructions describing how you can opt out of receiving future promotional emails from us. If you opt out of promotional emails, you may continue to receive non-promotional emails from us.
Website Analytics. You may opt out of the aggregation and analysis of data collected about you on our website by Google Analytics by visiting https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout and downloading and installing the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on. Please note that if you opt out, analytics companies other than Google Analytics may continue to aggregate and analyze data collected about you on our website.
How We Respond to Do Not Track Signals
Third Party Applications and Websites
Children Under the Age of 13
The Service is not directed to, and Canopy does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from, children under the age of 13. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under the age of 13, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from a child under the age of 13, please contact us as set forth below. Canopy does store information about dependents potentially under the age of 13, but that data needs to come from the appropriate parent or guardian.
This Policy May be Updated from Time to Time
3401 North Thanksgiving Way
Lehi, Utah 84043